The Futility Hotline
Monday, December 08, 2003
 
Strawberry Fields Forever
Twenty three years ago, this date was also a Monday night. Somewhere around 11 PM, my dad and one of my brothers came into my room and woke me up.

"Somebody shot John Lennon. Cosell just said it during the football game," my dad told me.

Strangely enough, I didn't realize the gravity of the situation at the time. It was certainly shocking enough that someone would shoot John Lennon, but with the matter of fact way the news was delivered to me, I just assumed he was ok. I got out of bed to check out the news reports only to find out that the attack had indeed killed him.

It's hard to believe that it's been this many years now since an artistic genius and pioneer was silenced before his time. One can only wonder at what he could have accomplished these past 23 years not just with his music, but his views and actions. We are definitely much poorer for not knowing.


<< Home
|
Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com